Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I Dream of Dairy Gerts

Yes you read that right. Dairy Gerts. Not dairy goats, dairy gerts. I blame it on ABS. I had received a poster with pictures of some of the cattle they offered semen from. One of the bulls was a Dairy Gyr. If you've never heard of them before, don't feel lonely. I hadn't either. But the image evidently stuck in my mind.

This is a picture  I found of a Dairy Gyr. It's a milking Bos Indicus. When I was growing up we called anything that looked like that a Brahma. So we have a milking Brahma. They don't give as much milk as a Holstein or Jersey. But if I still have my math skills right, there are some of these that have produced 15000 pounds of milk.
And if they are like the other "ear" cattle, they can handle the heat pretty darned well. Brazil uses a lot of them in milking herds and crossbreeding them with Holsteins, creating something called a Girolander.
      This is a Milking Shorthorn. I don't know where this cow came from other than I found the picture under milking shorthorn images. They don't give as much milk as Holsteins. But they supposedly excel on a pasture based dairy system. Which would be great if you crossed them with a dairy gyr. Because the two breeds combined would produce a cow that would be grazing on pasture during the heat of the day, when the Holsteins and Jerseys and everything else are wanting to lay in the shade.                                
     
 I see a bunch of Santa Gertrudis bulls on a regular basis. They're in a pasture I drive by 4 days a week. The Gerts are out grazing when the Angus and Hereford are laying up in the shade. Santa Gertrudis are a cross of 3/8 Brahma and 5/8 Shorthorn.  So in my mind a 3/8 Dairy Gyr and 5/8 Milking Shorthorn would be a Dairy Gert. Heat tolerant and excelling on pasture seems like an ideal combination. I don't know what kind of milk production they would have, but I think it would be interesting to find out.              
There is one minor drawback to this whole thing. As far as I know, no one has any Dairy Gerts. So I can't find any information on this particular cross. And secondly, I don't have any cattle or land to keep any cattle.
And I hate milking cows, so there's that.


     







No comments:

Post a Comment